Loving Spoonful Volunteer Coordinator Job Contract: 49 weeks starting Monday January 10th
Wage: $18.50/hour, 20 hours per week
Application Rolling Deadline:
Monday December 20th – Tuesday January 4th, 4pm.
Loving Spoonful is committed to enhancing access to healthy food for all in Kingston. We work on a variety of community food security projects and initiatives in Kingston including reclaiming surplus food for meal programs and agencies, community garden projects, farmers’ markets, education and advocacy. Volunteers play an integral role in our operations. Volunteers participate in planning committees, picking up and delivering food, gardening at our donation garden, preserving food for meal programs, representing Loving Spoonful at fairs and community events, staffing our market booth in the growing season, fundraising and much more.
The Loving Spoonful Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for all engagement with volunteers including but not limited to recruitment, training, and ongoing communication. Volunteer Coordination
1. Assessing the current volunteer context including contacting all volunteers about their involvement and experiences
2. Developing a volunteer survey
3. Hosting volunteer information meetings, volunteer trainings and socials
4. Meeting volunteer needs for Loving Spoonful’s various projects and fundraisers including food reclamation, Grow a Row, Community Kitchens, the Acorn Garden, public education workshops, Apple of My Pie and more.
5. Producing a Volunteer Manual
6. Working with the Loving Spoonful Board of Directors to produce Volunteer Policies to meet the organization’s needs and clarify relationships and responsibilities
7. Developing and executing a Volunteer Database that will track volunteer involvement, interests and skills. This may be through implementing available software or building one.
8. Producing a final report about the position and deliverables, as well as next steps
1. Supervising and supporting Work Study and Summer Student staff, as applicable
2. Updating media, including website, email listserves and facebook
3. Coordinating and executing community kitchen workbees for volunteers
4. Assisting with bookkeeping, grant-writing and other duties as required.
Education, Skills and Experience
1. Knowledge of and interest in community food security, local food systems
2. Proven ability to coordinate, mobilize and train volunteers
3. Experience and success with campaign or project coordination and execution
4. Experience with developing and/or using databases
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
6. Strong time-management skills
7. Ability to work independently
8. Commitment to anti-oppression and social justice
9. High school diploma. Post secondary education an asset Other Requirements
1. Flexible schedule since there will be work required on evenings and weekends
2. Ability to transport donated food required
3. Access to a vehicle and driver’s license preferred. Access to bicycle and comfortable with pulling a bike trailer at minimum
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter and two (2) references to email@example.com between Monday December 20 and Tuesday January 4 at 4pm in PDF or doc (not docx) formats. Write “Volunteer Coordinator” in the subject heading. Interviews will take place on Friday January 7 at the Loving Spoonful Office. Please indicate your availability on your application; we will confirm interview times on Wednesday January 5.
We thank all those who apply; however, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.
For more information about Loving Spoonful visit our website at www.lovingspoonful.org
Questions about this position can be directed to Susan Belyea at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613 583-2055.
This position is made possible through the generous support of the Healthy Community Fund in Kingston.